Monday, May 28, 2012

Derby Hat

I never had a chance to post my derby hat because I had planned to also post Marla's Mother's Day gift, but then we never took a picture of it. Can you believe that! Oh well, what are you going to do, right!? I'll have to add the picture later after we make our trip to Oregon this summer!



So, for our activity at the end of April, the Relief Society made Derby hats for the Kentucky Derby of course! We went shopping for our own hats and if there was anything else we wanted specifically on our hats, we needed to find those as well. This is what I came up with as my finished project. I even had the opportunity to wear it to the YM/YW fundraiser because it was derby themed.

On the day of the derby we made virgin mint juleps (they are HUGE here during derby, the the virgin ones, but the regular ones!) So, we found a recipe online for Disneyland's minut juleps and made those. YUM! They were so good. We enjoyed them while watching the races on tv ALL DAY! Kyle had to work and I was doing other things with the races on the tv in the background. It seemed appropriate and was actually a lot of fun for the day. Just for those who don't follow the races, "I'll Have Another" took the roses. Since then he has also taken another crown and he has one more race to take the triple crown. The owner of the horse says he got his name because the wife of the owner always makes cookies and while she is putting them away, he says, "Oh, I'll have another," but I'm not sure ANYONE actually believe that!

Anyway, the derby is definitely a fun event around here and I'm glad we were able to be apart of it, even just a little. Maybe next year we'll have a derby party with good food and friends. Anyone care to join us?! 

No comments: