Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring!

So, I've decided I don't know what spring is normally like in Kentucky because I have heard that we are having the craziest weather this year, but so far, I'm okay with it!

We used some of our tax returns to buy a fence for the dog and a playset for the kids. We're just going to make a dog run instead of fencing in the whole back yard. We had originally planned on fencing the whole back yard, but then there wouldn't have been enough money for a swingset and I really wanted them to have a place to play outside. They do a great job of staying in the yard, so I don't feel that we need a fence right now. Next year if we decide to get a pool, we'll have to put up a fence for sure, but for now, we'll just leave the yard open. It actually works out well. The day after Kyle put the playset up, we had a regular party in our back yard with the kids from the neighborhood. We even had parents come to chat while their kids played, so I think it will be a great way for our family to get to know our neighbors.
These are pictures of the boys watching the guy from Home Depot bringing our fencing material and playset material. They LOVED sitting on the front step watching the tractor! It was too cute, I had to get some pictures!


This is the finished playset. Our last playset, Kyle made from his own design and we thought we got a pretty good deal on the wood and materials. This playset cost A LOT less and is similar enough that the kids aren't missing anything.



Saturday night, after Kyle was done with the swingset and the kids were inside for the night, we had a lightening storm. It was the craziest thing ever. Kyle tried taking pictures of it, but he needs to practice with the cameral more. These are pictures of the house across the street as the lightening was hitting somewhere. He's decided that he wants to build a room on top of the house with glass all the way around so he can see the lightening! Silly guy!!

So the craziest thing as far as weather goes right now in Kentucky is that the temperature for the last few days has been in the 80's! From what was said on the news, this is the type of weather that they normally have in mid June, but we have it on the first day of spring! It's not humid yet, so it's perfect right now. Because it was so warm today, the kids asked to play outside in the sprinkler. I couldn't deny them. They have all been sick at some point over the last week and are now getting better, so I felt that it was only fair after not being able to play for a week, they could finally play outside and enjoy being kids. They had a great time running through the sprinkler and running away from the sprinkler!

I tried to take a picture of Gordon, but he wouldn't stop long enough to look at the camera. I actually said, "Gordon, say cheese" and he would say cheese as he was looking the other way. This is actually a picture of him saying cheese!

This is Eddie the other day. He was finally feeling better and I was taking pictures of the playset, so I thought I would get a picture of my handsome boy. I think next week I'm going to try and take pictures of all of the kids to put on the wall, so I'll be sure to post some pictures when I'm done.

I'm looking forward to a great spring and summer. Next month is the Kentucky Derby here. It's a BIG deal here with a parade, fireworks and activities for the whole family. I'm looking forward to something to replace the Portland Rose Festival and Starlight parade that our family normally enjoyed since we can't be there to enjoy it this year. We also bought our tickets for a NASCAR race this summer in Kentucky! I can't wait. Now we just have to go to Harbor Freight to get ear covers for the all of us, so we don't lose our hearing!

1 comment:

Amanda D said...

OOh, I like the new blog layout. Very cute!

I'm glad you were able to get a good deal on a swingset. We need one at our house. How fun that it is bringing the neighbors out too.

I can't wait to read about the Kentucky Derby events you go to. I'm a little jealous of your nice weather (I think the lightning storms sound cool too), but we did have a beautiful day yesterday so we were able to be outside a lot.